Wednesday 13 June 2007

Work and Play!








I had a busy long weekend at Kabba, in Kogi State. There seems to be a regular get together hosted by some irish priests down there for VSOs ( at least 20 of us or so) and other people that they know here in Nigeria. It involved lots of fun and games, including crazy golf, hiking, bar games like jenga and the hat game incorporating the donning of as many different types of hats as possible it appeared! Not sure what the point was but it was good fun which was the main thing. The incredibly cheesy music and impressive display of energetic dancing also added excitement to the evenings!!


It was good to meet up with everyone, after a busy week at work. I have been busy preparing materials as I tend to make all my own resources rather than buy things that aren't appropriate...or indeed available!....so that keeps me occupied in the evenings. I also had to plan a workshop I was giving to local teachers on general language development and how to help develop young children's speech and language...and how to spot possible problems etc.


We had a few hiccups because even thought I had made sure that the generator was available in case of the inevitable power failure, I had failed to ensure that there was sufficient fuel to power the generator. So I had to swop the video clip to the middle of the workshop once someone had gone to buy some fuel...always need to be flexible in these situations!




I have also started dancing at a local Nigerian Dance studio that does African Samba and Tango lessons. I think I will take a while to get as flexible around the waist as everyone else there, but at least I am giving it a go!




I thought I would add a picture of my room at school...complete with an invading herd of cows!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ju
You seem to be having fun
I must come out and visit you sometime now I'm back here in the UK.
mum was saying you need wheelchairs. I can try to co-opt some from somewhere