Thursday 22 February 2007

A visit to Lafia

I can definitely tell I am somewhere near the equator. To say I felt hot when trying to sleep last night is somewhat of an understatement! Given that the temperature didn’t dip below 30 degrees all night, and there was no electricity to power the fan ( except for a couple of welcome hours when it came on sporadically during the night) , it was not surprising that I woke up sweating like a pig.
So I have now relinquished my title of sun goddess and I am trying to avoid the sun as much as possible…well in the middle of the day at least!
I am in Lafia at the moment, on a placement visit with Marilyn, a Canadian volunteer who has been here for 4 months so she is showing me the ropes ; how to sterilize and work the water filter, how to charge everything electrical you own the moment the power supply comes on in case it goes again, how to wash using a bucket shower, and how to negotiate good deals at the market ! I am supposed to be learning how to cook a typically Nigerian meal too, but she let me off with that last night and cooked me some beans on toast which tasted amazingly great! I have been given lots of spicy food at the hotel since I arrived on Saturday so although it rather goes against the spirit of the exercise, beans on toast was exactly what I wanted! Marilyn has got a handy little campfire toast rack that you can put on top of a hob. Unfortunately she located it in Canada so I am not sure whether toast will be a rare luxury for me here…we shall see!

I have also been excited that you can get Smirnoff Ice in the most unlikely road side bars …even ice cold ones! So that has cheered up the evenings!

I am going to Jos next week which still appears to be a popular place from what most people say so I am pleased I am going there. Watch this space for photos of typical Nigerian street scenes….I should be able to upload them next Sunday.

8 comments:

Sophie said...

Hey Juju

You sound like you are already having an amazing time! I can't wait to see your photos. So glad it is all going well and that you have met some nice volunteers. I love the fact that you described Abuja to be a bit like Milton Keynes!!?

Missing you already, lots of love and hugs

Soph xx

Tan said...

Wanted to be the first person to comment on your site - Ju it all sounds so amazing!

I bet the sun goddess will reappear though and you will be the colour of a chocolate bar in just a few weeks!!!

Tan xxxx

Tan said...

darnit soph beat me to it

Unknown said...

Hey Julia

John here from NZ. It's sounding interesting from this end, and I too am looking forward to seeing the pics :) BTW, did you ever get around to sending Sneha that video of us all you took before leaving? :)

Have fun and sorry for being so slack on the emailing :(

John.

Ju said...

Keep the comments coming guys! Great to hear from you! It was a close run thing on the "first person the comment" stakes...well done for trying!!
John...I gave Rachel a video when I saw her in London last year, but she may have lost it since then!! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well on your side of the world!

Unknown said...

Hi Ju
I'm impressed with your technical abilities! Glad you've found some baked beans and smirnoff ice. Sounds like you're sorted with food and drink for the next year anyway....
Keep in touch
love Kate ( or as you would put it, sister kate not friend Kate)

Helen said...

Hi Ju,

I'm late in my posting but my excuse is that i only landed back from Egypt yesterday,,, sore backside and all.

Glad you are doing ok, can't wait to see the photo's will send you some of me on a bike (not a great sight).....

It's cold up here in Manchester at the moment 5 degrees......

Def can't get you on that mobile number you gave me. tried a few times.

can't wait to read your next bit, hope the wind up radio is coming in useful then if you have no electricity.

lots of love

Helen and Don

big hugs. xxxx.

Katey said...

hey hey friend kate here (hello sister kate!), can't honestly believe that you are avoiding the sun, this must be a lie to get us out there to see it for ourselves! can't wait to see some pics... please to hear you can keep up your little ways with smirnoff ice...
big kiss xxx